Thursday, October 8, 2009

Trendy Thursdays

You know those days when you wear an outfit that is kind of an outside of the box chance that people will love it or hate it? Well that was my outfit today. The weather is getting cooler here(and by that I mean dropped 15 degrees to 75), so I sleepily decided to wear a pair of tights with a high waisted skirt this morning. The skirt is from Banana (one of my favs) and its high-waisted with pockets and is kind of full. I wish I had the picture, but the skirt sold out :( Then I tucked in a black tshirt and wore a black cardigan, black tights, and black pumps. Sounds ok right?

Well, I got dressed in my bathroom while Jake was asleep as I do every morning. Right when his alarm went off, I flicked on the lights and asked, "Does this look ok?" This is a normal occurence in our morning routine and Jake is almost always quick to answer, "Eh. Yeah you make it look good", or something equally as nice. (The trick is to get them really early before they have the energy for sarcasm). To this particular outfit, Jake studied it carefully and said, "The skirt kind of looks like a horseman's riding pants." Ok, so you like it? "Well, its ok. I mean if you're going for that look." Sick.

I happened to think it was ok, so I went out the door. When I got out of the car at work, I was kind of nervous to walk in for some reason. I immediately second-guessed my "outside the box outfit" and tried to remember if I had a spare pair of pants in my car. Nope. Time to face the music.

Now, one thing you have to understand is there are really conservative people at my work and all age ranges. Most people wear jeans on a daily basis, but I always get tired of that. Sometimes I think that others might think I put way too much effort into what I wear to work. But who doesnt like to look good and not be bored with their outfits? I also sometimes fear that my boss will come up to me and say my outfit is inappropriate. I dont know why, but I have that fear because he is very conservative and I work with almost all men. I know I dont wear anything revealing, but what if he just doesnt get my attempt at trendy outfits? Should I even dress trendy in an office setting? I just cant see myself getting to a point in my life where I dont care about what I wear or how I look. Now I just sound plain vain.

Anywho, within minutes of walking into the office, I had several comments about my outfit. Mostly about the tights and they were all positive. I just dont really like the attention at work in that way. Because I work with almost all men, I try to mostly just fit in and not draw attention to the fact that I am the only girl. So its weird when one of the guys says, "Oh are tights in season now?" "Hey Cheryl, cool tights" Ugh. So weird. So I tried to just avoid walking around today so I wouldnt feel so awkward. I took a class at the gym at lunch today and even one of the instructors made a comment about the tights and skirt. After my post-workout shower, I didnt even bother putting the tights back on. I was sick of them and probably will never wear them again.

So I guess tomorrow is jeans and a tshirt?

0 comments:

Post a Comment