Sunday, September 19, 2010

Off to a Rocky Start, but Great Weekend

My Friday was super hellish at work. We had planned to drive to OC after I got off work to surprise Jake's dad for his birthday, but that wasn't in the cards for me. Due to some terrible circumstances at work, I had to stay until 7:45 and didn't get back to OC until after 9. I was in an awful mood by this point and starving, but I tried to push the bad feelings aside to hang out with our friends at Haven. It ended up ok and by the time I woke up Saturday I was ready to get my weekend started!

I got my hair done Saturday morning and then headed back to LA to watch the tail end of the USC-Minnesota game. Thankfully, we pulled out a win and are looking much better than our previous games. By 5, we were dressed and ready to head to the Hollywood Bowl for the Phoenix concert. We first met up with some of Jake's friends from school in Silver Lake. I never realized how freaking cool Silver Lake was. It's kind of a hippy town with cool vintage shops, yoga rooms on every corner and just plain rad people walking the streets. It was Hipster to the max. (Side note: Jake and I are all about the Hipster-scene since we moved to LA. Its hilarious to us to point them out and joke about their mostly ridiculous outfits. Again, we crack each other up at these silly kids.) Anywho, our friend Todd has a super awesome, panoramic view of the Hollywood Hills, Downtown and the rest of LA from his rooftop deck. It was amazing at sunset.

After some delicious fish tacos, we walked to the subway station to head to the Bowl. This was a definite first for me because I had no idea that public transportation actually got people anywhere in LA, but a few chance encounters with USC Law Students who randomly had mutual friends of the mine and subway stops later, we arrived in Hollywood just outside of Mann's Chinese Theater. It was fantastic. The concert was simply amazing and the best part was you could bring your own food and alcohol into the Bowl. Some fellow concert goers brought some other choice substances as well so we had fun watching these "law abiding citizens" dodge the cops and security guards. After the concert we headed back to downtown and had drinks and a late night meal at the Standard. That place is amazing and quite the Hipster scene :)

This morning, after I shook my hangover, my girlfriends from OC came out to visit. This was Baby Charlotte's first trip out of OC, so we did it right with a great lunch and shopping trip at the Grove. It was so fun to hang out with my friends and to see mommy Melissa in action. We had a blast talking wedding plans, since Melissa is getting married next summer and my wedding will be the following May. Charlotte was such a good baby all day, minus the minor freak out session when she was not thrilled that the public restrooms had loud toilet flushers!

Tonight I concocted a little dream of a dinner that I will call Mexican Turkey Lettuce Wraps. It came out soooo yummy, so I'll share my little recipe here:

Brown 1 package of lean ground turkey with chopped onions and taco seasoning. Create "shells" out of a fresh head of lettuce. I used shredded pepper jack cheese, green and red onions, avocado, corn salsa and hot sauce as the filler. Sooooo yummy!

Hope you all have a great week ahead!

0 comments:

Post a Comment